History & Heroes: Five Fast Facts- Frank H. Wielandy

Pulaski County Missouri History and Heroes

Frank H. Wielandy, the “Father of Missouri State Parks,” owned and named Blue Jay Farm, now a rustic resort, near Dixon in Pulaski County, Missouri.

Blue Jay School Crayons

1. In 1928 Wielandy conducted an unsuccessful Republican primary campaign for Missouri Governor.

2. Wielandy was Missouri Fish & Game Commissioner under Governor Arthur M. Hyde.

3. Wielandy was known as the Father of the Missouri State Park System.

4. Wielandy was a charter member of Coldwater Outing and Game Preserve near Clearwater, Missouri, in Ste. Genevieve county.

5. During the 1920s, while scouting for Missouri State Park sites, Wielandy visited a location near Dixon in Pulaski County. Wielandy became so enamored with the property that he and his brother, Paul, purchased the 360-acre property for themselves. Frank and Paul were also co-owners of Blackwell-Wielandy Book & Stationary Company. They named the property Blue Jay Farm in honor of their well-known Blue Jay writing tablets, pens, pencils, & crayons.

Sources:

The West Plains Journal (West Plains, Missouri) 19 July 1928
St. Louis Post-Dispatch (St. Louis, Missouri) 1 July 1958
St. Louis Post-Dispatch (St. Louis, Missouri) 23 February 1968
https://thelocaltourist.com/blue-jay-farm

History & Heroes: Five Fast Facts is an occasional series of interesting facts regarding namesakes and historical figures in Pulaski County, Missouri.