History & Heroes: Five Fast Facts- Cyrus Colley

Pulaski County Missouri History and Heroes

Cyrus Colley is the namesake of Colley Hollow, west of Waynesville in Pulaski County, Missouri. Colley settled on 300 acres of land there in 1832.

1. “Cyrus Colley found on his farm an artistically made rock pipe-bowl, so well preserved that one of his ‘hired men’ fixed a stem to it and enjoyed a modern weed, smoking in its bowl, as no doubt some ancient weed comforted its ancient owner- Mound Builder or Indian, as he may have been.”

2. Colley was appointed by the Pulaski County court to sell the lots of Waynesville. He had assisted in “laying out” the town.

3. “When the Texas agitation began to spread over the country, Pulaski County took up the cause as vigorously as any part of the Union. Mass-meetings were held in two different places; one at Bates’ (now Bartlett’s) Mill, and another at Waynesville. At the latter place a company was made up and organized by Cyrus Colley. They kept regular muster days for a time, but as no call was received from the authorities, they were disbanded.”

4. On January 30, 1857 Missouri Governor Trusten Polk signed “An Act to Incorporate the Waynesville Academy. The legislation named Colley and other prominent Pulaski County pioneers as “trustees of the Waynesville Academy.” A lot for the Academy was secured on the hill south of the courthouse and the lumber was on the ground at the site. However, the Academy was not constructed, and the materials were later sold at auction.

5. Colley, along with George M. Jamison (Crawford County) and Gideon R. West (Osage County) was appointed to locate the seat of Phelps County in November 1857.

Sources:
History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent Counties, The Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1889, Reprinted 1974. Available online at: http://cdm16795.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/mocohist/id/71191
Rolla Herald (Rolla, Missouri) 28 August 1941

History & Heroes: Five Fast Facts is an occasional series of interesting facts regarding namesakes and historical figures in Pulaski County, Missouri.

2018 River Bassin’ Tournament Trail National Championship Schedule

2018 River Bassin’ Tournament Trail National Championship Schedule

Over $75,000 in cash & prizes!

2018_River Bassin_Championship_Waynesville MO_10

Ruby’s Landing at Pulaski County, Missouri set to host 2018 River Bassin’ National Championship

Friday September 21st

3:00-6:00 p.m. -Kayak demos by Ozark Mountain Trading Company
5:00-6:00 p.m. -Angler Q&A with Drew Gregory
5:00 p.m. -River Bassin’ store opens
5:00 p.m. -Kayak raffle ticket sales begin
6:00-7:00 p.m.- Pre-tournament rules meeting
7:00 p.m. -Dinner (location TBD)

River Bassin' Tournament Trail National Championship 2018

River Bassin' Nation descends on Pulaski County, Missouri September 21st & 22nd! Over $75,000 in cash & prizes at stake. Register today! River Bassin Tournament Trail #PaddlePowered #KayakFishing #RiverBassin #HookedOnWildWaters #DiscoverMidwest #MIssouriAdventure #PulaskiCountyUSA

Posted by Pulaski County USA, Tourism Bureau & Visitors Center on Thursday, 30 August 2018

Saturday September 22nd

6:00 a.m. -Lines in
2:00-4:00 p.m. -Kayak raffle ticket sales begin
2:00-4:00 p.m. -food served for registered anglers
3:30 p.m. -Anglers’ fish photos must be submitted
4:30-5:00 p.m.- River Bassin’ results show & awards begin
6:00 p.m. -Special River Bassin’ announcement

2018 River Bassin' Tournament Trail National Championship Schedule

2018 River Bassin’ Tournament Trail National Championship Schedule

For more information and to register for 2018 River Bassin’ Tournament Trail National Championship Schedule visit www.riverbassintrail.com 

For more information on Ruby’s Landing on the Gasconade River between Crocker & Waynesville in Pulaski County, Missouri visit www.rubyslanding.com 

For area lodging information visit http://visitpulaskicounty.org/hotel_options_idss.asp

hotel.jpg

For additional things to see and do in Pulaski County, Missouri visit www.PulaskiCountyUSA.com

Pulaski-County-Tourism_color

 

 

History & Heroes: Five Fast Facts- Joseph W. McClurg

Pulaski County Missouri History and Heroes

Joseph W. McClurg, 19th Governor of Missouri, was the namesake of McClurg Street at Richland, Missouri in Pulaski County.

Joseph_W._McClurg_-_Brady-Handy

Joseph Washington McClurg. Image by Mathew Brady, retrieved via Wikipedia.com.

1. McClurg once served as deputy Sheriff in Saint Louis County.

2. An 1893 Shelbina Democrat news article describes McClurg as “an Ozark pioneer” and “The Prince of Merchants.”

3. To curb the rising costs of salt to his customers, McClurg, then a merchant at Hazelwood, Missouri, rode on horseback to Jacksonport, Arkansas where he boarded a steamer to New Orleans. At the Crescent City he purchased 1,000 sacks of salt. He loaded the commodity on a northbound steamship returning to Jacksonport. The country between Jacksonport and Hazelwood was “wild and traversed only by tortuous trails, which could hardly be called roads.” Undaunted, McClurg cut and partly graded a hundreds mile long wagon road through the rugged region. In 1893 this road, known as McClurg’s Old Salt Road, was “one of the most noted highways of the Ozarks.”

4. In 1871, Joseph Washington McClurg returned to Linn Creek to resume his business enterprises. Along with his sons-in-law Charles Draper and Marshall Johnson, McClurg founded Draper, McClurg and Company. Merchandising profits funded surface mining on lead and iron in the Central Lead District near the Osage River. The firm operated steamboats on the Missouri and Osage Rivers and their landings became trade centers for the shipment of railroad ties. The company gained government contracts for the removal of sandbars on the Osage River. By 1885, falling profits lead to the seizure of one of the steamboats by creditors and within a year, McClurg sold his Camden County properties.

5. McClurg resided in Lebanon, Missouri at the time of his death December 2, 1900. He was laid to rest at Lebanon City Cemetery. On December 7th, 1904 Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) members alongside their Confederate counterparts paid tribute to the former Governor at the unveiling of a monument erected by the State of Missouri at McClurg’s gravesite. The monument stands 22 feet high and is made of granite from Barre, Vermont. It rests on a bottom base 6 feet square, surmounted by a second base 4 feet, 5 inches square, which is surrounded by a die 3 feet 4 inches square upon which rests the shaft 16 feet long. The monument was featured on tourist maps produced during the WPA era.

Sources:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120411091708/http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resources/findingaids/rg003-19.pdf
Shelbina Democrat (Shelbina, Missouri)25 October 1893
Gasconade County Republican (Owensville, Missouri) 9 December 1904

History & Heroes: Five Fast Facts is an occasional series of interesting facts regarding namesakes and historical figures in Pulaski County, Missouri.

History & Heroes: Five Fast Facts- Uriel Crocker

Pulaski County Missouri History and Heroes

Uriel Crocker, publisher and member of the board of directors of South Pacific Railroad, was the namesake of Crocker, Missouri in Pulaski County. Beginning as early as the 1920’s Mr. Crocker has often accidentally been misidentified as Eurilis J. Crocker.*

Uriel Crocker via Wiki Commons.

Uriel Crocker via Wiki Commons.

1. Crocker’s grandfather, Josiah Crocker, was a great admirer of Milton’s “Paradise Lost.” Crocker is named after a character in the poem.

2. In the early 1820’s Crocker convinced his publishing partner, Samuel T. Armstrong, to stereotype the six volumes of “Scott’s Family Bible.” It was the first time that such a large work was stereotyped in the United States of America. Crocker & Brewster also introduced into Boston the first iron-lever printing press. They also printed from the first power press.

3. As a boy Crocker witnessed Floyd Ireson being dragged along the street in a dory by a mob of men and boys who later tarred and feathered Ireson. The episode was later memorialized in John Greenleaf Whittier’s poem “Skipper Ireson’s Ride.”

4. Crocker was one of the original Corporators of the Franklin Savings Bank of the City of Boston.

5. Crocker served as Director of Atlantic and Pacific Railroad Company from 1868 until 1874. He served as Director of South Pacific Railroad in 1870 and as director of St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad Company in 1877.

* ”History of Laclede, Camden, Dallas, Webster, Wright, Texas, Pulaski, Phelps and Dent counties, Missouri” published by Goodspeed Publishing Company in 1889, states, in reference to Crocker, “The growth has been slow but continuous since the town was laid out in 1869 by the railway company, who gave it the name it bears in honor of one of its prominent men.” No records could be found for Eurilis J. Crocker. However, Uriel Crocker was a prominent South Pacific Railroad shareholder before being elected to the board of directors in 1870. (Researched by Laura Huffman 2009-2018)

Sources:
https://archive.org/stream/memorialofurielc00crocrich/memorialofurielc00crocrich_djvu.txt

History & Heroes: Five Fast Facts is an occasional series of interesting facts regarding namesakes and historical figures in Pulaski County, Missouri.

Pulaski County Tourism Bureau Mourns the Loss of Leon Saxton Jr.

Pulaski County Tourism Bureau Board of Directors and staff express our deepest condolences to Leon Saxton Jr.’s family, friends, and loved ones. Leon has been a part of our tourism family for over a decade. At the time of his passing he served on our board as a restaurant representative. Leon was an avid supporter and champion of Pulaski County, Missouri. He was a forward-thinker, a patriot, a family-man, and he evoked the spirit of entrepreneurship. His commitment to Pulaski County Tourism Bureau and to Pulaski County sets the bar high and cements his legacy to Fort Leonard Wood region’s economic growth and prosperity. Rest in peace Leon.

Leon Saxton Jr

Leon Saxton Jr. 1947-2018. Photo via Facebook. 

Service information and details will be announced via https://www.memorialchapelsandcrematory.com.

US FLAG with Rose